Enabling young adults with disabilities to live life to the full
The overarching aim of The Chiltern Centre is to care for the person and everything that makes them. Although we aim to see the person not the disability, we acknowledge that their medical diagnosis is part of them and we aim to support our young adults to live life to the full; encouraging them to express themselves as a person, and everything that comes with who they are. We will do this by:
- Developing and implementing appropriate support for young adults in consultation with the individual, their family and other relevant parties to meet their individual needs.
- Valuing young adults as individuals, promoting choice, positive self-image, independence and individual identity.
- Encouraging full participation of the young adults in the running of the Centre, sharing responsibilities and decisions.
- Providing individualised person-centred care by involving each individual in every aspect of their care with regular monitoring and review.
- Treating young adults and their views with dignity and respect.
- Working in partnership with associated agencies to provide a holistic approach to meeting the needs of young adults and to develop additional opportunities and promote life chances.
- Safeguarding the health and wellbeing of young adults, ensuring that they are protected from harm.
- Offering a small-scale friendly environment that is flexible and which seeks to meet the needs and of young adults it supports
- Providing a safe, secure, and stimulating environment where young adults can relax and have fun.
- Giving young adults the opportunity to continue to develop social and life skills and become an active part of the community.
- Encouraging young adults to respect individuals’ diversity, needs, values and human rights.
- Ensure confidentiality and personal privacy are always maintained and respected.
- Promoting the service in the wider community and encouraging participation in, and support of, our work.
- Being a source of information and support for young adults, families and professionals.